Thursday, July 01, 2010

It’s Worth Learning

One or both of Darth’s front wheels have developed a squeal. Sounds like low brake pads.  While airing up the tires this morning I noticed the driver’s side front wheel rim is a lot hotter than the others… crap, does that indicate a bad wheel bearing?

Update: Duh! Most likely the heat’s from a stuck caliper. I’m off ‘til Tuesday, sometime this weekend I’ll pull he tire for a look.

Anyways. It’s time I learned how to do that stuff myself. I’ve watched & helped my brother fix brakes and replace wheel bearings a few times so I’m not completely ignorant.

What brings this up now is the Taurus is in the shop for brake work. Turns out I need new hardware at all four corners… New rotors, a caliper and pads in the front, new pads and pistons for the rear. All told it will cost a bit over $500, and a chunk of that is for labor.

I’d rather pay myself, if you know what I mean.

Next weekend I’m heading out to the Folk’s place where I can use their massive driveway and garage to continue my mechanical ed-joo-cation. Between my Dad and I there are no shortage of tools, and the nearest NAPA is all of 30 minutes away.

All I need is to find a good manual.

Darth also has a nasty case of rot down around his bottom edges. I’m going to get some spray on rust killer and hopefully stop further deterioration (check out the 6:30 mark).

Fun.

Hoozyrdady.

No comments: